Astellas Pharma is a global pharmaceutical company that focuses on the development and commercialization of innovative pharmaceuticals for the treatment of a wide range of diseases. The company was founded in 2005 through the merger of two Japanese pharmaceutical companies, Yamanouchi Pharmaceutical Co. and Fujisawa Pharmaceutical Co., and has since grown into one of the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies.
In this blog, we will take a closer look at Astellas Pharma and its finances, including its funding history, revenue sources, and recent financial performance.
Astellas Pharma is a publicly traded company, and its funding comes primarily from its shareholders and investors. The company’s initial public offering (IPO) was in 2005, when it raised ¥932 billion (approximately $8.7 billion) through the sale of its shares.
Since then, the company has raised additional funds through secondary offerings, bond issuances, and other financing activities. In 2020, the company issued a $3 billion bond to finance its acquisition of Audentes Therapeutics, a gene therapy company based in the United States.
Astellas Pharma’s revenue sources come primarily from the sale of its pharmaceutical products. The company has a broad portfolio of products that includes treatments for cancer, immunology, infectious diseases, urology, and transplantation.
In addition to its own products, the company also generates revenue through collaborations and partnerships with other companies in the pharmaceutical industry. For example, in 2019, the company signed a collaboration agreement with Pandion Therapeutics to develop innovative treatments for autoimmune diseases.
Recent Financial Performance:
Astellas Pharma has a strong financial performance, with steady revenue growth over the years. In its most recent financial results, for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2021, the company reported net sales of ¥1.3 trillion (approximately $12.2 billion), an increase of 2.9% over the previous fiscal year.
The company’s operating income for the same period was ¥302.3 billion (approximately $2.8 billion), an increase of 7.8% over the previous fiscal year. The company attributed its strong financial performance to the growth of its core products, as well as the contribution from its recent acquisitions.
Astellas Pharma is a global pharmaceutical company that has a strong financial performance and a broad portfolio of innovative pharmaceutical products. With a history of steady revenue growth and a focus on collaborations and partnerships, the company is well-positioned to continue its growth and make a significant impact in the healthcare industry.
Sure, here is a timeline of key events in the history of Astellas Pharma:
- 2005: Astellas Pharma is founded through the merger of Japanese pharmaceutical companies Yamanouchi Pharmaceutical Co. and Fujisawa Pharmaceutical Co.
- 2009: Astellas acquires OSI Pharmaceuticals, a US-based biotechnology company, for $4 billion.
- 2010: Astellas establishes a joint venture with Amgen to develop and commercialize biosimilars in Japan.
- 2011: Astellas acquires Agensys, a US-based biotechnology company, for $387 million.
- 2013: Astellas acquires Ocata Therapeutics, a US-based biotechnology company focused on regenerative medicine, for $379 million.
- 2015: Astellas acquires Quethera, a UK-based gene therapy company, for an undisclosed amount.
- 2016: Astellas acquires Ganymed Pharmaceuticals, a German biotechnology company focused on cancer immunotherapy, for €1.3 billion (approximately $1.4 billion).
- 2017: Astellas acquires Ogeda, a Belgian biotechnology company focused on women’s health, for €800 million (approximately $941 million).
- 2019: Astellas signs a collaboration agreement with Pandion Therapeutics to develop innovative treatments for autoimmune diseases.
- 2020: Astellas issues a $3 billion bond to finance its acquisition of Audentes Therapeutics, a US-based gene therapy company.
- 2021: Astellas reports net sales of ¥1.3 trillion (approximately $12.2 billion) and operating income of ¥302.3 billion (approximately $2.8 billion) for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2021.
This timeline highlights some of the major milestones in the history of Astellas Pharma, including its key acquisitions, collaborations, and financial performance over the years.