|Born||April 7, 1948|
|Birthplace||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Education||Federal University of Rio de Janeiro (Mechanical Engineering degree)|
|Known for||Co-founding 3G Capital, Lojas Americanas, and AmBev|
|Philanthropy||Co-founding the Lemann Foundation|
|Net worth (2021)||$13 billion|
|Notable Business Ventures||– Lojas Americanas, a major Brazilian retail chain<br> – AmBev, a leading Brazilian beverage company<br> – Burger King, the fast-food chain<br> – H.J. Heinz Company<br> – Tim Hortons, the Canadian coffee chain|
|Board Memberships||Banco Itau (Brazilian investment bank)|
|Famous Quotes||“We like to focus on long-term value creation, and we are not afraid to take bold actions to achieve it.” |
“We believe in investing in people, and we are committed to providing our employees with the training and support they need to succeed.”
“We always strive to create a culture of excellence and continuous improvement in everything we do.”
Carlos Alberto Sicupira is a Brazilian businessman and entrepreneur who is widely recognized as one of the wealthiest individuals in Brazil and Latin America. Born on April 7, 1948, in Rio de Janeiro, Sicupira is best known for his involvement in the founding and management of several highly successful companies, including 3G Capital, Lojas Americanas, and AmBev.
Sicupira’s career began in the early 1970s when he and a group of friends acquired the Brazilian retail chain, Lojas Americanas. Over the next few years, Sicupira played a key role in expanding the company’s operations, and by the early 1990s, Lojas Americanas had become one of the largest retailers in Brazil.
In 1999, Sicupira co-founded AmBev, a leading beverage company that produces some of Brazil’s most popular beer brands, including Skol and Brahma. Under Sicupira’s leadership, AmBev grew rapidly, and in 2004, the company merged with Belgian beer giant Interbrew to form InBev, the world’s largest brewer at the time.
In 2008, Sicupira and his partners at 3G Capital acquired Burger King, the fast-food chain, for $4 billion. They later merged the company with Canadian coffee chain Tim Hortons to form Restaurant Brands International, which is now one of the world’s largest restaurant companies.
Sicupira’s success as a businessman has resulted in a substantial personal fortune. As of 2021, he was estimated to be worth over $13 billion, making him one of the wealthiest people in Brazil and Latin America. His wealth has allowed him to engage in philanthropic activities, and he has donated millions of dollars to various causes, including education, health, and poverty alleviation.
Despite his enormous wealth, Sicupira is known for his low-key lifestyle and aversion to public attention. He rarely gives interviews and shuns the limelight, preferring to focus on his business ventures and philanthropic work. His success in business and dedication to improving the lives of others have made him a role model for aspiring entrepreneurs in Brazil and beyond.
Here’s a timeline of Carlos Alberto Sicupira’s life and career:
- 1948: Sicupira is born on April 7th in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Early 1970s: Sicupira and a group of friends acquire Brazilian retail chain Lojas Americanas.
- Early 1990s: Lojas Americanas becomes one of the largest retailers in Brazil.
- 1999: Sicupira co-founds AmBev, a leading beverage company in Brazil.
- 2004: AmBev merges with Belgian beer company Interbrew to form InBev, the world’s largest brewer at the time.
- 2008: Sicupira and his partners at 3G Capital acquire fast-food chain Burger King for $4 billion.
- 2010: 3G Capital acquires H.J. Heinz Company for $23 billion.
- 2014: 3G Capital merges Burger King with Canadian coffee chain Tim Hortons to form Restaurant Brands International.
- 2021: Sicupira is estimated to be worth over $13 billion.
Throughout his career, Sicupira has been known for his entrepreneurial spirit, business acumen, and philanthropic activities. He has played a key role in the growth and success of several companies and continues to inspire aspiring entrepreneurs in Brazil and around the world.
5 Interesting Facts about Carlos Alberto Sicupira:
- He earned a degree in Mechanical Engineering from the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro.
- He is known for his frugal lifestyle and is often seen traveling economy class.
- He co-founded the Lemann Foundation, which provides educational opportunities for underprivileged children in Brazil.
- He is a board member of the Brazilian investment bank, Banco Itau.
- He is a passionate sailor and has competed in several sailing regattas.
5 Quotes from Carlos Alberto Sicupira:
- “We like to focus on long-term value creation, and we are not afraid to take bold actions to achieve it.”
- “We believe in meritocracy, and we are not afraid to make tough decisions when it comes to talent management.”
- “We always strive to create a culture of excellence and continuous improvement in everything we do.”
- “We believe in investing in people, and we are committed to providing our employees with the training and support they need to succeed.”
- “We are always looking for new opportunities to create value, and we are not afraid to take risks when we see a compelling opportunity.”