Chad Hurley is a successful entrepreneur and co-founder of the video-sharing website YouTube. Born on January 24, 1977, in Reading, Pennsylvania, Chad Hurley graduated from Indiana University of Pennsylvania with a degree in Fine Arts.
After working at PayPal as a designer, Hurley along with his colleagues, Jawed Karim and Steve Chen, started YouTube in 2005. It became one of the most popular websites on the internet, with millions of users worldwide. YouTube was sold to Google in November 2006 for $1.65 billion, and Hurley became a millionaire overnight.
Since the sale of YouTube, Hurley has gone on to invest in various tech startups, including MixBit, a video-sharing app, and Zeen, a digital magazine platform. He has also co-founded AVOS Systems, a company that focuses on web and mobile platforms, and co-founded GreenPark Sports, a mobile sports game development company.
According to Forbes, Chad Hurley’s net worth is estimated to be $355 million as of 2021. He has been recognized for his contributions to the tech industry, including being named as one of Time Magazine’s 100 Most Influential People in the World in 2010.
In addition to his entrepreneurial ventures, Hurley is also active in philanthropy. He has donated millions of dollars to various causes, including education and environmental initiatives.
Overall, Chad Hurley’s wealth is the result of his entrepreneurial vision and success with YouTube, as well as his ongoing investments and philanthropic efforts.
Here’s a brief timeline of Chad Hurley’s life and career:
- January 24, 1977: Chad Hurley is born in Reading, Pennsylvania.
- 1995-1999: Hurley studies at the Indiana University of Pennsylvania, where he earns a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree.
- 1999-2005: Hurley works at PayPal as a designer, where he meets Jawed Karim and Steve Chen.
- February 2005: Hurley, Karim, and Chen found YouTube.
- November 2006: Google acquires YouTube for $1.65 billion.
- 2010: Hurley is named one of Time Magazine’s 100 Most Influential People in the World.
- 2011: Hurley co-founds AVOS Systems, a web and mobile platform company.
- 2013: Hurley and Chen acquire Delicious, a social bookmarking website.
- 2014: Hurley and Chen found MixBit, a video-sharing app.
- 2019: Hurley and Chen found GreenPark Sports, a mobile sports game development company.
Throughout his career, Hurley has made significant contributions to the tech industry as an entrepreneur and investor. He has also been active in philanthropy, donating millions of dollars to various causes.
5 Interesting Facts About Chad Hurley:
- Hurley co-founded YouTube along with his colleagues, Jawed Karim and Steve Chen, in 2005. They created the website to make it easy for people to share and watch videos online.
- He studied Fine Arts in college and initially worked as a designer for PayPal before transitioning into entrepreneurship.
- Hurley was named one of the 50 most powerful people in the world by Forbes magazine in 2010.
- He has invested in numerous startups, including Airbnb and MixBit, a video-sharing app he co-founded.
- In addition to his entrepreneurial pursuits, Hurley is also passionate about vintage cars and owns several classic automobiles.
5 Quotes from Chad Hurley:
- “Believe in yourself and have confidence in what you’re doing, even when others don’t.”
- “The biggest risk is not taking any risk. In a world that’s changing really quickly, the only strategy that is guaranteed to fail is not taking risks.”
- “Entrepreneurship is about creating change, not just companies.”
- “You don’t have to know everything about everything. You just have to surround yourself with people who know what they’re doing and who are willing to work with you.”
- “The world is changing, and technology is at the forefront of this change. I believe that by using technology wisely, we can make a positive impact on society and help solve some of the world’s biggest challenges.”