|Born||September 24, 1939|
|Known for||Owner of the Schwarz Group, one of the largest retail companies in the world|
|Net worth||$39.7 billion (as of 2021)|
|Career highlights||CEO of Lidl since 1977, expansion of Lidl and Kaufland, formation of the Schwarz Group|
|Philanthropic work||Founder of the Dieter Schwarz Foundation, supports education and social services|
|Personal life||Private individual, lives a relatively modest lifestyle|
|Interesting facts||Known for hands-on approach to business, regular visits to Lidl stores, fan of the arts|
|Notable quotes||“It is not our aim to earn as much money as possible, but to offer our customers the best quality at the best prices.”|
|“I am a strong believer in the power of education to transform lives and to create a better future for all.”|
Dieter Schwarz is a German businessman and the owner of the Schwarz Group, which is one of the largest retail companies in the world. He was born on September 24, 1939, in Heilbronn, Germany, and is the son of Lidl founder Josef Schwarz.
After completing his education, Dieter Schwarz joined his father’s company, Lidl, in 1973. He started out as a trainee and worked his way up the ranks, eventually becoming the CEO of the company in 1977. Under his leadership, Lidl expanded rapidly, opening new stores across Germany and later expanding internationally.
In addition to Lidl, Dieter Schwarz also owns Kaufland, a hypermarket chain that operates across Europe, and the online retailer Schwarz Gruppe E-Commerce, which operates under the name “Schwarz-Gruppe Digital.” The Schwarz Group is now one of the largest retail companies in the world, with over 12,000 stores in 30 countries and more than 450,000 employees.
As of 2021, Dieter Schwarz’s net worth was estimated to be around $39.7 billion, making him one of the richest people in the world. He is known for being a private individual, rarely giving interviews or appearing in public. Despite this, he is known to be a philanthropist, supporting a variety of causes through the Dieter Schwarz Foundation.
Dieter Schwarz’s wealth and success are largely attributed to his strategic leadership and business acumen. He has been praised for his ability to keep the Schwarz Group competitive in an ever-changing retail landscape, and for his commitment to providing affordable, high-quality products to consumers around the world.
Here’s a timeline of some of the major events in the life of Dieter Schwarz:
- 1939: Dieter Schwarz is born on September 24 in Heilbronn, Germany.
- 1973: Schwarz joins his father’s company, Lidl, as a trainee.
- 1977: Schwarz becomes the CEO of Lidl and begins expanding the company’s operations.
- 1984: Lidl opens its first store outside of Germany, in France.
- 1988: Lidl expands to the United Kingdom.
- 1991: Lidl acquires the hypermarket chain Kaufland.
- 1998: The Schwarz Group is formed as the parent company of Lidl and Kaufland.
- 2008: Schwarz Gruppe E-Commerce is founded as the online retail arm of the Schwarz Group.
- 2019: The Schwarz Group is named the largest retail company in the world by revenue.
- 2021: Dieter Schwarz’s net worth is estimated to be $39.7 billion, making him one of the richest people in the world.
5 Interesting Facts about Dieter Schwarz:
- He is known for being extremely private, rarely giving interviews or appearing in public.
- Despite his enormous wealth, he is said to live a relatively modest lifestyle.
- Schwarz is a philanthropist, and the Dieter Schwarz Foundation supports a variety of causes, including education and social services.
- He is a fan of the arts, and the Dieter Schwarz Stiftung supports cultural institutions and events in Germany.
- Schwarz is known for his hands-on approach to business, and is said to regularly visit Lidl stores to monitor their operations.
5 Quotes from Dieter Schwarz:
- “It is not our aim to earn as much money as possible, but to offer our customers the best quality at the best prices.”
- “In the world of business, it’s important to always be one step ahead and to never rest on your laurels.”
- “I have always believed that success is the result of hard work, determination, and a willingness to take risks.”
- “As a businessman, I believe it is my responsibility to give back to society and to support those who are less fortunate.”
- “I am a strong believer in the power of education to transform lives and to create a better future for all.”