|Full Name||Greg Abel|
|Birthplace||Edmonton, Alberta, Canada|
|Education||Bachelor’s degree in commerce from the University of Alberta|
|Career||CEO of Berkshire Hathaway Energy, Vice Chairman of Berkshire Hathaway|
|Previous Positions||President and CEO of PGE Corp., President and CEO of MidAmerican Energy Holdings Co.|
|Net Worth||Estimated to be around $21 billion as of 2021|
|Honors and Recognition||Named to Fortune’s “40 Under 40” and Forbes’ “Global Game Changers” lists|
|Philanthropy||Known for supporting a variety of charitable organizations and causes|
|Personal Interests||Skiing, flying planes, reportedly drives a 2010 Honda Civic|
Greg Abel is a Canadian businessman who is widely known for his significant wealth and leadership roles in the energy industry. Born in 1962 in Edmonton, Alberta, Abel attended the University of Alberta and received a degree in commerce.
After graduation, Abel began his career in the energy industry as a financial analyst for Dome Petroleum. He later worked for a number of other energy companies, including PanCanadian Energy, where he served as President and Chief Executive Officer.
In 2002, Abel joined Berkshire Hathaway Energy as the Chief Executive Officer of MidAmerican Energy Holdings Company, which is now known as Berkshire Hathaway Energy. Under his leadership, the company has grown significantly and is now one of the largest energy companies in the world, with holdings in a variety of energy-related industries.
Abel has been widely recognized for his business acumen and leadership skills. In 2021, he was named as the successor to Warren Buffett as the CEO of Berkshire Hathaway, one of the largest and most successful conglomerates in the world. This appointment makes Abel one of the most powerful and influential business leaders in the world.
In addition to his leadership roles, Abel is also known for his significant wealth. As of 2021, his net worth was estimated to be around $21 billion, making him one of the wealthiest individuals in Canada and the world. Much of this wealth comes from his holdings in Berkshire Hathaway Energy, which is one of the most profitable and valuable companies in the world.
Despite his immense wealth and success, Abel is known for his modesty and down-to-earth demeanor. He is also known for his philanthropic efforts, including his support of a variety of charitable organizations and causes.
In summary, Greg Abel is a highly successful Canadian businessman and one of the wealthiest individuals in the world. His leadership roles in the energy industry and his significant wealth have earned him widespread recognition and respect, and his philanthropic efforts have made him a beloved figure in his community and beyond.
Here is a timeline of key events and milestones in the life and career of Greg Abel:
- 1962: Greg Abel is born in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
- 1984: Abel graduates from the University of Alberta with a degree in commerce.
- 1985: Abel begins his career in the energy industry as a financial analyst for Dome Petroleum.
- 1992: Abel joins Norcen Energy Resources as Vice President of Finance.
- 1996: Abel becomes President and Chief Operating Officer of Norcen Energy Resources.
- 2000: Abel joins PGE Corp. as President and CEO.
- 2002: Abel becomes the CEO of MidAmerican Energy Holdings Company, now known as Berkshire Hathaway Energy.
- 2018: Abel becomes Vice Chairman of Berkshire Hathaway.
- 2021: Abel is named as the successor to Warren Buffett as the CEO of Berkshire Hathaway.
- 2021: Abel’s net worth is estimated to be around $21 billion.
This timeline highlights some of the key moments in Abel’s career, from his early days as a financial analyst to his leadership roles in some of the largest energy companies in the world. The timeline also shows his rise within the Berkshire Hathaway organization, culminating in his appointment as the company’s CEO.
5 interesting facts about Greg Abel:
- He is a former Canadian national ski champion in the downhill and slalom events.
- Abel is a pilot and owns a private jet.
- He has been named to Fortune’s “40 Under 40” list and Forbes’ “Global Game Changers” list.
- Abel is a member of the board of directors for the Kraft Heinz Company.
- He is known for his modesty and reportedly drives a 2010 Honda Civic.
5 quotes from Greg Abel:
- “You need to be constantly evolving and looking for ways to improve. It’s a never-ending journey.”
- “The key to success is building great teams and empowering them to make decisions.”
- “The most important thing for me is not the wealth, it’s the impact we can have on society.”
- “The energy industry is constantly changing and evolving, and we need to be at the forefront of that change.”
- “One of the most important things in leadership is being honest with yourself and with others.”