|Date of Birth||February 10, 1955|
|Birthplace||Mount Isa, Queensland, Australia|
|Height||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Career Earnings||$40 million|
|PGA Tour Wins||20|
|European Tour Wins||14|
|Other Professional Wins||32|
|Major Championships||2 (Open Championship – 1986, 1993)|
|World Golf Hall of Fame Induction||2001|
|Net Worth||$400 million|
Greg Norman is an Australian professional golfer, entrepreneur, and philanthropist. Born on February 10, 1955, in Mount Isa, Queensland, he is widely considered one of the greatest golfers of all time. Norman has won numerous professional golf tournaments worldwide, including two Open Championships, and has spent a total of 331 weeks as the world’s number one ranked golfer.
Aside from his successful golf career, Norman has also made a name for himself in the business world. In 1987, he established Great White Shark Enterprises, which has since evolved into the Greg Norman Company. The company is involved in golf course design, real estate development, wine production, and other ventures. Norman’s estimated net worth is $400 million.
As a philanthropist, Norman is involved in several charitable organizations. He founded the Greg Norman Foundation, which focuses on children’s charities, and also supports various other causes such as cancer research, environmental conservation, and education.
Throughout his golfing career, Norman has faced numerous setbacks, including injuries and losses in high-profile tournaments. However, he has remained resilient and focused on his goals, inspiring fans with his dedication and determination.
Today, Norman continues to make an impact both on and off the golf course. He serves as a television commentator for golf events, and his business ventures continue to thrive. Despite his wealth and success, he remains grounded and committed to making a positive difference in the world.
Here’s a timeline of the major events in Greg Norman’s life and career:
- 1955: Greg Norman is born on February 10th in Mount Isa, Queensland, Australia.
- 1976: Norman turns professional and begins playing on the Australian Tour.
- 1980: Norman wins his first European Tour event, the Martini International.
- 1981: Norman wins his first PGA Tour event, the Kemper Open.
- 1986: Norman wins his first major championship, the Open Championship, with a score of 280 at Turnberry in Scotland.
- 1987: Norman establishes Great White Shark Enterprises, which would later become the Greg Norman Company.
- 1989: Norman becomes the world number one ranked golfer for the first time, a position he would hold for a total of 331 weeks over the course of his career.
- 1993: Norman wins his second Open Championship, this time at Royal St. George’s in England.
- 1996: Norman reaches the pinnacle of his career, winning nine tournaments worldwide, including the PGA Tour money list and the Vardon Trophy.
- 2001: Norman is inducted into the World Golf Hall of Fame.
- 2008: Norman serves as the captain of the International team in the Presidents Cup.
- 2011: Norman designs his first golf course in Vietnam, the Greg Norman-designed Danang Golf Club.
- 2015: Norman is appointed as an honorary life member of the European Tour.
- 2021: Norman is inducted into the Australian Golf Hall of Fame.
Throughout his career, Greg Norman has won 91 professional tournaments worldwide, including 20 on the PGA Tour. He has also been involved in numerous business ventures and philanthropic efforts, making him a well-respected and influential figure both in the world of golf and beyond.
Here are 5 interesting facts about Greg Norman:
- Greg Norman is a former world No. 1 professional golfer who has won 91 professional tournaments worldwide, including two Open Championships.
- In addition to golf, he is also a successful entrepreneur with a net worth of over $400 million. He has founded several companies including Great White Shark Enterprises, Greg Norman Golf Course Design, and Greg Norman Collection.
- Norman is known for his distinctive swing, which has been described as a “wide and powerful” swing with a pronounced leg kick.
- He has also been involved in several philanthropic ventures, including the Greg Norman Foundation, which raises money for children’s charities, and the Shark Shootout, which raises money for the CureSearch National Childhood Cancer Foundation.
- Norman has had a number of high-profile business and personal relationships over the years, including a long-standing partnership with IMG and a marriage to tennis legend Chris Evert that lasted just 15 months.
And here are 5 quotes from him:
- “The most important thing is to stay focused and not let the distractions of life sidetrack you.”
- “I’m a very intense person. I think a lot of people see that as being negative, but I see it as a positive thing.”
- “I’ve always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting even when there’s only a slightest chance.”
- “I’m not interested in being the richest guy in the graveyard. I want to enjoy my life and have fun.”
- “My philosophy is to not be afraid of failing, but to be more afraid of not trying.”