|Name||Jack Crawford Taylor|
|Birthdate||April 14, 1922|
|Birthplace||St. Louis, Missouri|
|Education||None (left school at 16)|
|Career||Founder of Enterprise Rent-A-Car|
|Net Worth (at peak)||$13.9 billion (Forbes, 2012)|
|Philanthropic contributions||Donated millions of dollars to support education, medical research, and the arts|
|Awards and Honors||Bronze Star (U.S. Navy, World War II), St. Louis Citizen of the Year (1993), Horatio Alger Award (1997), Automotive Hall of Fame (2004)|
|Death||July 2, 2016|
|Legacy||Taylor’s philanthropic efforts continue to benefit his community and his company, Enterprise Holdings, remains one of the largest car rental companies in the world|
Jack Crawford Taylor was an American businessman and entrepreneur who founded the car rental company Enterprise Holdings. Taylor’s success in the car rental industry made him one of the wealthiest people in the United States.
Jack Taylor was born on April 14, 1922, in St. Louis, Missouri. He grew up during the Great Depression and his family struggled financially. Despite these challenges, Taylor was determined to succeed and began working at a young age.
During World War II, Taylor served in the United States Navy and was stationed in the Pacific. After the war, he returned to St. Louis and started working in the car rental industry. He saw an opportunity to offer better service to customers and founded Executive Leasing in 1957. The company specialized in long-term car rentals for businesses and soon became a success.
In 1969, Executive Leasing was renamed Enterprise Rent-A-Car and began expanding rapidly across the United States. Taylor focused on offering exceptional customer service and a wide range of rental options, which helped the company to stand out from its competitors.
Under Taylor’s leadership, Enterprise Holdings grew into a global car rental giant, with locations in over 100 countries. In addition to car rentals, the company also owns and operates the car-sharing service, CarShare, and the truck rental service, Enterprise Truck Rental.
At the time of his death in 2016, Jack Taylor had an estimated net worth of $6.3 billion, making him one of the wealthiest people in the United States. He was known for his philanthropic efforts, particularly in his hometown of St. Louis. Taylor and his family donated millions of dollars to local organizations, including the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra and the Missouri Botanical Garden.
Today, Enterprise Holdings remains one of the largest car rental companies in the world, with a strong reputation for customer service and affordable rates. Jack Taylor’s legacy as an innovative entrepreneur and philanthropist continues to inspire future generations of business leaders.
Here’s a timeline of the major events in Jack Taylor’s life:
- 1922: Jack Taylor is born in St. Louis, Missouri.
- 1942-1946: Taylor serves in the United States Navy during World War II.
- 1957: Taylor founds Executive Leasing, a long-term car rental company for businesses.
- 1969: Executive Leasing is renamed Enterprise Rent-A-Car and begins expanding rapidly across the United States.
- 1980s-1990s: Enterprise Holdings continues to expand, adding new locations and services.
- 2003: Enterprise Holdings acquires National Car Rental and Alamo Rent A Car, making it the largest car rental company in the world.
- 2009: Taylor donates $22 million to the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra, the largest single gift in the orchestra’s history.
- 2012: Taylor is named to Forbes’ list of the 400 richest Americans, with an estimated net worth of $11 billion.
- 2016: Jack Taylor passes away at the age of 94, leaving behind a legacy of entrepreneurship and philanthropy.
Note: This timeline is not exhaustive and there may be additional events in Jack Taylor’s life that are not included.
Here are 5 interesting facts about Jack Taylor:
- Despite his immense wealth, Taylor was known for his frugal lifestyle. He famously drove a 2001 Hyundai Accent and lived in a modest home in St. Louis.
- Taylor served as an officer on a U.S. Navy destroyer during World War II and was awarded the Bronze Star for his service.
- Before entering the car rental industry, Taylor worked in a number of different jobs, including selling shoes and running a liquor store.
- In addition to his philanthropic efforts in St. Louis, Taylor donated millions of dollars to support education and medical research initiatives across the country.
- Taylor was a passionate supporter of the arts and believed that they played an important role in building strong communities. He was particularly devoted to the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra, which he supported for many years.
Here are 5 quotes from Jack Taylor:
- “The key to success is to take care of your customers.”
- “If you want to succeed, you’ve got to have a dream, a vision, and the willingness to work hard to make it a reality.”
- “I’ve always believed that success is built on hard work, dedication, and a commitment to doing things the right way.”
- “Philanthropy is about giving back to the community and helping to make the world a better place. It’s something that’s important to me and my family.”
- “I’ve been very fortunate in my life, and I believe that it’s important to share that good fortune with others.”