|Full Name||Jeremy Richard Louis Grantham|
|Date of Birth||October 6, 1938|
|Birthplace||Ware, Hertfordshire, England|
|Education||University of Sheffield (BSc), University of Chicago (PhD)|
|Occupation||Investor, Co-founder of GMO LLC|
|Notable Accomplishments||CFA Institute’s Award for Professional Excellence (2013), Signatory of the Giving Pledge|
|Key Interests||Sustainable investing, climate change, birdwatching|
|Books||The Longest Quarterly Letter Ever, The Global-Investor Book of Investing Rules|
|Foundations||Grantham Foundation for the Protection of the Environment|
|Net Worth||$1.5 billion (as of 2021)|
Jeremy Grantham is a British investor and co-founder of GMO LLC, a Boston-based investment management firm. Born on October 6, 1938, in the UK, Grantham is widely considered to be one of the most successful and influential investors of his generation. He is known for his long-term investment strategies and his work as an environmental activist.
Grantham began his career as an economist in London, working for the investment bank Barclays. In 1967, he moved to the United States and joined Batterymarch Financial Management, a Boston-based investment firm. He later founded GMO LLC in 1977 with fellow investor Richard Mayo and other partners.
Under Grantham’s leadership, GMO has grown to become one of the world’s largest investment firms, with over $60 billion in assets under management. Grantham is known for his investment philosophy of focusing on long-term trends and avoiding speculative bubbles. He is also a strong proponent of sustainable investing and has been an outspoken critic of the environmental impact of capitalism.
Grantham’s net worth is estimated to be around $1.5 billion, making him one of the wealthiest investors in the world. In addition to his work in finance, Grantham is also a noted philanthropist and has donated millions of dollars to environmental causes. In 2021, he signed the Giving Pledge, a commitment by the world’s wealthiest individuals to give away the majority of their wealth to charitable causes.
Grantham has received numerous accolades for his contributions to the world of finance and his work as an environmental activist. He has been named to the Time 100 list of the world’s most influential people and has received the CFA Institute’s Award for Professional Excellence.
Despite his success, Grantham is known for his humility and his willingness to challenge conventional wisdom. He has warned about the dangers of climate change, income inequality, and unsustainable economic growth, and has urged investors and policymakers to take action to address these issues. Through his work as an investor and philanthropist, Grantham has made a significant impact on the world of finance and beyond.
Here’s a timeline of key events in Jeremy Grantham’s life and career:
- 1938: Jeremy Grantham is born in the UK.
- 1961: Grantham graduates from the University of Sheffield with a degree in economics.
- 1964: Grantham receives a PhD in economics from the University of Chicago.
- 1967: Grantham moves to the United States and joins Batterymarch Financial Management in Boston.
- 1977: Grantham co-founds GMO LLC with Richard Mayo and other partners.
- 1998: Grantham warns of the dangers of the tech stock bubble and recommends that investors reduce their exposure to equities.
- 2007: Grantham warns of the risks posed by the housing bubble and predicts a major market crash.
- 2011: Grantham launches the Grantham Foundation for the Protection of the Environment, which funds research and advocacy related to climate change and other environmental issues.
- 2013: Grantham receives the CFA Institute’s Award for Professional Excellence.
- 2021: Grantham signs the Giving Pledge, committing to give away the majority of his wealth to charitable causes.
Throughout his career, Grantham has been known for his long-term investment strategies, his focus on sustainability and environmental issues, and his willingness to challenge conventional wisdom. He has made significant contributions to the world of finance and beyond, and his work continues to inspire investors and activists around the world.
Here are 5 interesting facts about Jeremy Grantham and 5 quotes from him:
- Grantham is a descendant of the Grantham family of Downton Abbey fame.
- He was an avid birdwatcher and has been known to incorporate his love of nature into his investment strategies.
- Grantham was among the first investors to recognize the risks posed by climate change and has been an outspoken advocate for sustainable investing.
- He has authored numerous papers and articles on investing and economics, including a widely-circulated letter to investors titled “The Longest Quarterly Letter Ever”.
- Grantham has donated millions of dollars to environmental causes through his Grantham Foundation for the Protection of the Environment.
- “We’re running out of planet, and we’re running out of time.”
- “Capitalism has no sense of ethics or decency; it measures only profit.”
- “I think that the biggest single problem we face is that we’re living in a bubble of false prosperity driven by artificially low interest rates and quantitative easing.”
- “There’s never been a bad time to be a long-term investor in the stock market.”
- “The biggest enemy of a good investment strategy is a bad investment strategy that’s worked for a while.”