|Birthdate||April 13, 1944|
|Birthplace||Los Angeles, California, USA|
|Business Ventures||Paul Mitchell, Patron Spirits Company|
|Net Worth||$3.4 billion (as of 2021)|
|Philanthropy||Giving Pledge, Peace, Love, and Happiness Foundation|
|Other Interests||Racing, flying vintage planes|
John Paul DeJoria is an American entrepreneur and philanthropist who is best known as the co-founder of the Paul Mitchell hair care line and the Patron Spirits Company. He was born on April 13, 1944, in Los Angeles, California.
DeJoria’s early life was marked by poverty and hardship. He was raised by his mother and stepfather in East Los Angeles and was forced to live in a foster home for a period of time after his mother became unable to care for him. Despite these challenges, DeJoria was determined to succeed and started working odd jobs from a young age.
DeJoria’s breakthrough came in 1980 when he co-founded the Paul Mitchell hair care line with hairdresser Paul Mitchell. The company was started with just $700 and grew into a multimillion-dollar business with products sold in over 100 countries.
In 1989, DeJoria founded the Patron Spirits Company, which produces ultra-premium tequila. The company has since become a leader in the spirits industry, with products sold in more than 130 countries. In 2018, DeJoria sold the company to Bacardi for a reported $5.1 billion.
DeJoria’s success in the business world has led to a substantial fortune. As of 2021, his net worth is estimated to be around $3.4 billion, according to Forbes. However, DeJoria is not one to hoard his wealth. He is a committed philanthropist, supporting a range of causes, including environmental conservation, education, and poverty alleviation.
In 2011, DeJoria signed the Giving Pledge, committing to donate at least half of his wealth to charity during his lifetime. He has also founded several charitable organizations, including the Peace, Love, and Happiness Foundation, which supports organizations focused on basic needs such as food, shelter, and healthcare.
DeJoria’s success story is a testament to the power of determination and hard work. Despite facing significant obstacles in his life, he persevered and built a business empire that has transformed the hair care and spirits industries. And, rather than keep his wealth to himself, he has used it to support a range of worthy causes and make a positive impact on the world.
Here is a timeline of some of the significant events and milestones in the life of John Paul DeJoria:
- 1944: John Paul DeJoria is born on April 13 in Los Angeles, California.
- 1960s: DeJoria begins working various odd jobs to support himself, including as a janitor and tow truck driver.
- 1970s: DeJoria starts working in the hair care industry, first for Redken Laboratories and then for Fermodyl.
- 1980: DeJoria co-founds the Paul Mitchell hair care line with hairdresser Paul Mitchell. They start the company with just $700.
- 1989: DeJoria co-founds the Patron Spirits Company, which produces ultra-premium tequila.
- 1990s: DeJoria expands the Paul Mitchell brand to include other hair care and beauty products, as well as a line of pet care products.
- 2000s: DeJoria continues to expand his business interests, investing in companies such as Solar Utility and Sun King.
- 2011: DeJoria signs the Giving Pledge, committing to donate at least half of his wealth to charity during his lifetime.
- 2018: DeJoria sells the Patron Spirits Company to Bacardi for a reported $5.1 billion.
- 2021: DeJoria’s net worth is estimated to be around $3.4 billion, according to Forbes.
Throughout his life, DeJoria has also been involved in various philanthropic efforts, supporting causes such as environmental conservation, education, and poverty alleviation.
5 Interesting Facts About John Paul DeJoria:
- Before co-founding Paul Mitchell, DeJoria lived in his car and sold shampoo door-to-door to support himself.
- He once turned down a $700 million buyout offer for Paul Mitchell because he felt the company was worth more.
- DeJoria is a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, having produced an album for rock band the BoDeans.
- He has a passion for racing and has competed in a variety of motorsports events, including the Toyota Pro/Celebrity Race.
- DeJoria is a licensed pilot and owns a collection of vintage planes.
5 Quotes From John Paul DeJoria:
- “Success unshared is failure.”
- “The world is full of successful people who started with nothing.”
- “You don’t need a million dollars to do something good for others.”
- “Success for me is not measured in dollars. It’s measured in the difference that you make in people’s lives.”
- “If you can’t find a job, make a job.”