|Full Name||Ma Huateng|
|Birthdate||October 29, 1971|
|Birthplace||Chaoyang, Guangdong, China|
|Education||Shenzhen University (B.S. in Computer Science)|
|Company||Tencent Holdings Limited|
|Title||Chairman and CEO|
|Net Worth||$71.6 billion (Forbes, 2021)|
|Notable Products||QQ, WeChat, Tencent Video|
|Notable Investments||Tesla, Snap Inc., JD.com|
|Philanthropy||Ma Huateng Global Foundation|
|Awards/Honors||Time Magazine’s 100 Most Influential People in the World (2007, 2014), Forbes’ World’s Most Powerful People (2018)|
Ma Huateng, also known as Pony Ma, is a Chinese entrepreneur and the co-founder of Tencent Holdings Limited, one of the largest internet companies in China. Born on October 29, 1971, in Chaoyang, Guangdong Province, Ma Huateng showed an early interest in computers and technology.
After studying computer science at Shenzhen University, Ma Huateng worked for several companies before founding Tencent in 1998 with four other co-founders. Initially, Tencent focused on providing instant messaging services, and its flagship product, QQ, quickly became one of the most popular instant messaging platforms in China.
Under Ma Huateng’s leadership, Tencent expanded its offerings to include social networking, online gaming, e-commerce, and mobile payments. The company has also invested heavily in emerging technologies such as artificial intelligence and cloud computing.
Ma Huateng’s success with Tencent has made him one of the wealthiest people in China and the world. As of 2021, his net worth is estimated to be over $71 billion, making him the second-richest person in China and the 14th richest person in the world, according to Forbes.
Ma Huateng is also known for his philanthropy. In 2007, he founded the Ma Huateng Global Foundation, which focuses on promoting education, health, and environmental protection. He has also donated generously to disaster relief efforts and other charitable causes.
Despite his immense wealth, Ma Huateng maintains a low profile and is known for his humility and dedication to his work. He has said that his goal is to make Tencent a “century-old” company that continues to innovate and provide value to its customers and shareholders.
In addition to his work with Tencent, Ma Huateng is also involved in various business and political organizations. He is a member of the National Committee of the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference and serves on the boards of several Chinese companies.
Overall, Ma Huateng’s entrepreneurial spirit and dedication to innovation have made him one of the most influential figures in the tech industry and a symbol of China’s rapidly growing economy.
Here is a timeline of Ma Huateng’s life and career:
- 1971: Ma Huateng is born on October 29 in Chaoyang, Guangdong Province, China.
- 1993: Ma Huateng graduates from Shenzhen University with a degree in computer science.
- 1998: Ma Huateng co-founds Tencent Holdings Limited with four other co-founders, focusing on instant messaging services.
- 1999: Tencent launches its flagship product, QQ, which quickly becomes one of the most popular instant messaging platforms in China.
- 2004: Tencent launches QQ Games, its online gaming platform, which becomes one of the largest online gaming communities in China.
- 2007: Ma Huateng founds the Ma Huateng Global Foundation, which focuses on promoting education, health, and environmental protection.
- 2011: Tencent launches WeChat, a mobile messaging and social networking app, which becomes one of the most popular apps in China.
- 2014: Tencent becomes the first Chinese company to be valued at over $100 billion.
- 2018: Tencent becomes the first Asian company to surpass $500 billion in market value.
- 2021: Ma Huateng’s net worth is estimated to be over $71 billion, making him the second-richest person in China and the 14th richest person in the world, according to Forbes.
Throughout his career, Ma Huateng has been recognized for his innovative ideas and leadership skills. He has received numerous awards and honors, including being named one of Time magazine’s 100 most influential people in the world in 2007 and 2014.
Here are 5 interesting facts about Ma Huateng and 5 quotes from him:
- Ma Huateng’s nickname is “Pony Ma,” which he earned during his days as a programmer because his surname sounds like the Chinese word for “horse.”
- Tencent’s WeChat app has over one billion monthly active users and is considered one of the most important social media platforms in China.
- In addition to Tencent, Ma Huateng is also an investor in several other companies, including electric car maker Tesla.
- Ma Huateng is known for his love of basketball and is a fan of the NBA’s San Antonio Spurs.
- Ma Huateng has said that he believes in creating a “digital economy” that benefits everyone, not just the wealthy elite.
- “Innovation is the soul of Tencent’s development.”
- “My goal is not to become the richest man in China, but to make Tencent a century-old company.”
- “The internet has made the world a smaller place and opened up endless opportunities for innovation and growth.”
- “We believe that by creating a digital ecosystem that connects people, businesses, and governments, we can help drive economic growth and improve people’s lives.”
- “As a technology company, we have a responsibility to use our resources to make a positive impact on society, whether that’s through charitable giving, environmental protection, or other social initiatives.”