|Full name||Wesley Robert Edens|
|Birthdate||October 30, 1961|
|Education||Bachelor’s degree in Finance and Business Administration from Oregon State University|
|Career highlights||Co-founder and co-CEO of Fortress Investment Group, owner of the Milwaukee Bucks NBA team, chairman of New Fortress Energy|
|Net worth (as of 2023)||$8.2 billion|
|Philanthropic work||Donated $2.5 million to Oregon State University to create a professorship in finance, supports environmental conservation efforts through the Edens Family Fund|
Wes Edens is a billionaire businessman and entrepreneur, with a net worth of approximately $8.2 billion as of 2023. He co-founded Fortress Investment Group, a global investment management firm, in 1998, and has since built a successful career in the finance industry. Edens is also known for his investments in various sports teams, including the Milwaukee Bucks of the National Basketball Association and the Aston Villa Football Club in the English Premier League.
Born on October 30, 1961, in Montana, Edens graduated from Oregon State University with a degree in Finance and Business Administration. He started his career in finance at Lehman Brothers, where he became a partner and managing director in 1987. In 1993, he left Lehman Brothers and joined BlackRock Asset Investors, where he served as a partner and managing director until 1997.
In 1998, Edens, along with four other partners, founded Fortress Investment Group, a private equity and hedge fund company. Under his leadership, Fortress grew rapidly and went public in 2007. The firm managed assets worth $70.2 billion as of 2020 and was acquired by SoftBank Group Corp in 2017 for $3.3 billion.
Apart from his work in finance, Edens is also known for his passion for sports. He is the co-owner of the Milwaukee Bucks basketball team, which he purchased in 2014. He also invested in the Aston Villa Football Club in 2018, becoming the majority owner of the team.
In addition to his investments in sports, Edens is also involved in various philanthropic activities. He is a board member of numerous organizations, including the Samuel Waxman Cancer Research Foundation, the Brown School at Washington University in St. Louis, and the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation.
Overall, Wes Edens has established himself as a successful businessman and investor, with a diverse range of interests and ventures. His wealth has been accumulated through his successful career in finance and his investments in various sports teams and philanthropic endeavors.
Here is a timeline of Wes Edens:
- 1961: Wesley Robert Edens was born on October 30 in the United States.
- 1984: Edens graduated from Oregon State University with a Bachelor of Science in Finance and Business Administration.
- 1987: Edens started his career at Lehman Brothers, where he became a partner and managing director in the Mortgage Trading Division.
- 1993: Edens left Lehman Brothers and joined BlackRock Financial Management as a partner and managing director in the Private Equity Division.
- 1997: Edens and his colleagues founded Fortress Investment Group LLC with $400 million in assets under management. Edens became co-chairman and co-CEO of the company.
- 2007: Fortress went public on the New York Stock Exchange, making Edens and his partners billionaires.
- 2010: Edens founded Nationstar Mortgage, a residential mortgage loan servicer.
- 2014: Edens and his partners sold Fortress to SoftBank Group Corp for $3.3 billion.
- 2018: Edens became the co-owner of Aston Villa Football Club, an English professional football club.
Note: This timeline only includes some of the major events in Wes Edens’ life and career.
Here are 5 interesting facts about Wes Edens:
- Co-founded Fortress Investment Group in 1998 with four other partners.
- In 2014, purchased the Milwaukee Bucks NBA team for $550 million with Marc Lasry.
- Has invested in numerous industries, including sports teams, healthcare, transportation, and infrastructure.
- Co-founded New Fortress Energy in 2018, a company focused on developing clean and renewable energy sources.
- Has a passion for equestrian sports and is involved in several horse breeding and racing ventures.
Here are 5 quotes from Wes Edens:
- “I think it’s always good to have the ability to laugh at yourself and to not take things too seriously.”
- “One of the things that drew me to finance was that it was an industry that could make a difference.”
- “I think the more businesses you can have that provide good-paying jobs and benefits, the better off the world will be.”
- “I think everybody’s got to make a contribution to society.”
- “The idea of being an entrepreneur is that you’re building something from scratch, creating a vision, and hopefully, creating a new market.”