Abdel Fattah el-Sisi is an Egyptian military officer and politician who has been the President of Egypt since 2014. He was born on November 19, 1954, in Gamaleya, a district in Old Cairo. El-Sisi graduated from the Egyptian Military Academy in 1977, and he went on to earn a master’s degree in military science from the Egyptian Command and Staff College in 1987. In 2006, he attended the United States Army War College in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, where he earned a master’s degree in strategic studies.
El-Sisi began his military career as a tank commander and served in several leadership positions within the Egyptian Armed Forces. He rose to prominence during the 2011 Egyptian revolution, when he was appointed as the head of the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces (SCAF) after former President Hosni Mubarak was overthrown.
In 2013, following mass protests against then-President Mohamed Morsi, el-Sisi led a coup against Morsi’s government and became the de facto ruler of Egypt. He was subsequently elected as president in 2014, and he was reelected for a second term in 2018.
As for his wealth, there have been various estimates made, with some reports suggesting that he may be one of the wealthiest people in Egypt. However, there is limited information available regarding his personal finances, and many of the claims regarding his wealth are difficult to verify.
According to a report by Middle East Eye in 2019, el-Sisi’s net worth was estimated to be around $70 billion. The report suggested that his wealth was amassed through a variety of means, including business ventures involving his family members and close associates, as well as control over key sectors of the economy, such as the military and security apparatus.
However, these claims have been met with skepticism by some experts, who argue that it is difficult to accurately assess the wealth of political leaders in authoritarian regimes like Egypt. The government itself has denied allegations of corruption and embezzlement by el-Sisi and his associates.
Overall, the exact extent of el-Sisi’s personal wealth remains unclear, and it is difficult to assess the veracity of many of the claims that have been made regarding his finances.
Here is a timeline of significant events in the life and career of Abdel Fattah el-Sisi:
- November 19, 1954: Abdel Fattah el-Sisi is born in Gamaleya, a district in Old Cairo.
- 1977: El-Sisi graduates from the Egyptian Military Academy.
- 1987: He earns a master’s degree in military science from the Egyptian Command and Staff College.
- 2006: El-Sisi attends the United States Army War College in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, where he earns a master’s degree in strategic studies.
- January 2011: Protests against then-President Hosni Mubarak begin, leading to his eventual overthrow.
- August 2012: El-Sisi is appointed as the head of the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces (SCAF).
- July 2013: Following mass protests against then-President Mohamed Morsi, el-Sisi leads a coup against Morsi’s government and becomes the de facto ruler of Egypt.
- June 2014: El-Sisi is elected as President of Egypt, winning 96.1% of the vote.
- March 2015: El-Sisi announces the launch of a military campaign in the Sinai Peninsula against militants affiliated with the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS).
- April 2019: The Egyptian parliament approves amendments to the constitution that could allow el-Sisi to remain in power until 2030.
- March 2021: El-Sisi visits Sudan to discuss issues related to the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD) and border security.
- March 2022: El-Sisi is re-elected as President of Egypt, winning over 97% of the vote.
This timeline covers some of the most significant events in the life and career of Abdel Fattah el-Sisi, from his early years in the military to his controversial presidency and reelection.
5 Interesting Facts:
- El-Sisi is fluent in both Arabic and English, and he has also studied French.
- He served as the military attaché to Saudi Arabia in the 1990s.
- El-Sisi is a fan of football (soccer) and has been known to play the sport in his spare time.
- In 2015, he announced plans to build a new administrative capital for Egypt, which is currently under construction.
- El-Sisi has been recognized for his efforts to combat terrorism and promote stability in the Middle East, receiving awards from countries such as the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, and Russia.
- “I will not be a president for a specific class, sect, or group of people. I will be a president for all Egyptians.”
- “Terrorism is an evil that must be confronted by all of us. It is not a threat to one nation, but to all of humanity.”
- “The youth of Egypt are the hope of the nation and the future of the region.”
- “We will not allow anyone to interfere in the affairs of our country or threaten our national security.”
- “Egypt is a nation that has endured for millennia, and it will continue to endure and thrive in the face of any challenge.”