Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman is a member of the Saudi royal family and is currently the heir apparent to the throne. He was born on August 31, 1985, in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, and is the son of King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud.
Prince Mohammad received his education in Saudi Arabia and went on to study law at King Saud University in Riyadh. He began his political career in 2007, working in various positions within the Saudi government, including as an advisor to the Ministry of Defense.
In 2015, Prince Mohammad was appointed as the Minister of Defense by his father, King Salman. In this role, he oversaw the Saudi-led intervention in Yemen, which aimed to oust the Houthi rebels from power.
In 2017, Prince Mohammad was appointed as the Crown Prince, making him the next in line to the throne. He has since taken a prominent role in the country’s political and economic reforms, including the Vision 2030 plan, which aims to modernize the country’s economy and reduce its dependence on oil.
According to Forbes, Prince Mohammad’s net worth is estimated to be around $7 billion. Much of his wealth is believed to come from his ownership of assets in various sectors, including real estate and technology.
However, it is important to note that the true extent of the Saudi royal family’s wealth is difficult to determine due to the secrecy surrounding their finances. The country does not have a tradition of disclosing the personal wealth of its citizens, including the royal family.
In conclusion, Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman is a prominent member of the Saudi royal family and a key figure in the country’s political and economic reforms. His net worth is estimated to be around $7 billion, but the true extent of his wealth, like that of the rest of the royal family, remains shrouded in secrecy.
Here is a timeline of key events in the life and career of Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman:
- August 31, 1985: Mohammad bin Salman is born in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
- 2007: Prince Mohammad begins his political career, working in various positions within the Saudi government, including as an advisor to the Ministry of Defense.
- 2015: Prince Mohammad is appointed as the Minister of Defense by his father, King Salman.
- March 2015: Saudi Arabia launches a military intervention in Yemen, with Prince Mohammad leading the operation as the Minister of Defense.
- June 2017: Prince Mohammad is appointed as the Crown Prince, replacing his cousin Mohammed bin Nayef.
- 2017: Prince Mohammad announces the Vision 2030 plan, which aims to modernize Saudi Arabia’s economy and reduce its dependence on oil.
- 2018: Prince Mohammad oversees the lifting of the ban on women driving in Saudi Arabia.
- October 2018: The murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, Turkey, prompts international criticism of Prince Mohammad and the Saudi government.
- April 2021: Prince Mohammad unveils plans for a new city called Neom, which is expected to be a hub for technology and tourism.
- September 2021: The Saudi government announces plans to invest $500 billion in a new initiative called the Saudi Green Initiative, aimed at reducing the country’s carbon emissions.
This timeline highlights some of the major events in Prince Mohammad’s life and career, from his early political work to his current position as the Crown Prince and a key figure in Saudi Arabia’s ongoing political and economic reforms.
5 Interesting Facts about Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman:
- Youngest Defense Minister: At the age of 30, Prince Mohammad was appointed as the Minister of Defense, making him the youngest defense minister in the world.
- Philanthropic Work: In 2018, Prince Mohammad announced plans to donate $3.5 billion to support the development of Saudi Arabia’s healthcare sector, with a particular focus on combatting diseases such as malaria and polio.
- Yacht Purchase: In 2015, Prince Mohammad reportedly purchased a $550 million yacht, making it one of the most expensive yachts ever sold.
- Football Enthusiast: Prince Mohammad is known for his love of football and has been involved in efforts to promote the sport in Saudi Arabia, including supporting the creation of a new football league in the country.
- Western Education: Unlike many other members of the Saudi royal family, Prince Mohammad received a western-style education, studying law at King Saud University in Riyadh.
5 Quotes from Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman:
- “We want to live a normal life, a life in which our religion translates to tolerance, to our traditions of kindness.”
- “The Saudi economy is capable of adopting the most developed technologies, whether in artificial intelligence or renewable energy or any other field.”
- “We have a clear vision of what we want to do. We know our legacy, and we know the legacy of our fathers and grandfathers. We are not Saudi Arabia of 30 years ago. We are Saudi Arabia of the 21st century.”
- “The kingdom resembles a car that was once driven by a reckless driver, and now the new driver is taking it on a straight path.”
- “We are against political Islam, whether it’s Sunni or Shia. We are the country of moderation and the middle way.”