|Born||November 19, 1976|
|Birthplace||St. Louis, Missouri, United States|
|Education||Attended the University of Missouri-Rolla|
|Known for||Co-founding Twitter and Square|
|Titles held||Former CEO of Twitter and Square|
|Net worth (2023)||Approximately $13.5 billion|
|Philanthropy||Donates to COVID-19 relief and efforts to provide clean water to underdeveloped communities|
|Management style||Unconventional and controversial|
|Passion||Fashion design and antique maps|
|Personal routine||Includes meditation, exercise, and intermittent fasting|
|Quote||“Expect the unexpected. And whenever possible, be the unexpected.”|
Jack Dorsey is a prominent American entrepreneur, computer programmer, and businessman. He was born on November 19, 1976, in St. Louis, Missouri. Dorsey is best known as the co-founder of two major social media platforms, Twitter and Square.
Dorsey’s fascination with programming began at an early age, and he developed a keen interest in computer science and technology. He attended the University of Missouri-Rolla but dropped out before completing his degree to move to Silicon Valley and pursue his entrepreneurial dreams.
In 2006, Dorsey co-founded Twitter, a microblogging platform that quickly gained popularity and became a global phenomenon. As CEO of Twitter, Dorsey led the company through its initial public offering in 2013 and oversaw its growth into a multibillion-dollar company.
In 2009, Dorsey also co-founded Square, a mobile payments company that allows merchants to accept credit card payments using a smartphone or tablet. Square has become a major player in the payments industry and has expanded its offerings to include financial services such as loans and payroll.
According to Forbes, as of 2021, Jack Dorsey has a net worth of approximately $13.5 billion. Much of his wealth comes from his ownership stakes in Twitter and Square. However, Dorsey has made headlines in recent years for his philanthropic efforts, donating large sums of money to charitable causes such as COVID-19 relief and efforts to provide clean water to underdeveloped communities.
Dorsey is known for his unconventional approach to business and his commitment to innovation and disruption. He has been recognized as one of Time magazine’s 100 most influential people and has received numerous awards and accolades for his contributions to the tech industry.
Despite his success, Dorsey remains a controversial figure, and his management style and decisions have been criticized by some investors and analysts. However, his impact on the tech industry and his wealth have made him one of the most influential and prominent figures in Silicon Valley.
Here’s a timeline of the major events in Jack Dorsey’s life and career:
- 1976: Jack Dorsey is born on November 19th in St. Louis, Missouri.
- 2000: Dorsey drops out of the University of Missouri-Rolla before completing his degree to move to Silicon Valley.
- 2006: Dorsey co-founds Twitter with Biz Stone and Evan Williams.
- 2008: Dorsey steps down as CEO of Twitter but remains chairman of the board.
- 2009: Dorsey co-founds Square with Jim McKelvey.
- 2010: Dorsey becomes CEO of Square.
- 2013: Twitter goes public in an initial public offering (IPO) that values the company at $31 billion.
- 2015: Dorsey returns to Twitter as CEO.
- 2021: Dorsey steps down as CEO of Twitter and is succeeded by Parag Agrawal. Dorsey also steps down from the board of directors of Square.
This timeline highlights some of the key moments in Jack Dorsey’s life and career, including his co-founding of Twitter and Square, his leadership roles at those companies, and his departures and returns to those positions.
Here are 5 interesting facts about Jack Dorsey and 5 quotes from him:
5 Interesting Facts:
- Jack Dorsey has a passion for fashion design and has launched his own clothing line called “Small Batch”.
- Dorsey is a certified masseur and used to work as a masseur on the side while developing Twitter.
- He is an avid collector of maps and has a collection of over 500 antique maps.
- Dorsey practices a strict daily routine, including meditation, exercise, and intermittent fasting.
- He is a big fan of punk rock music and has been known to attend concerts and music festivals.
- “Expect the unexpected. And whenever possible, be the unexpected.”
- “Make every detail perfect and limit the number of details to perfect.”
- “Life is too short to be small.”
- “The most important thing in communication is to hear what isn’t being said.”
- “I think everyone has something that they are incredibly passionate about, whether they know it or not.”