Jeffrey Gundlach is an American investor and businessman who is widely regarded as one of the most successful and influential investors in the world. He was born in 1959 in Buffalo, New York and attended Dartmouth College and Yale University. After completing his education, he began his career in finance, working for several firms before joining the investment management firm TCW Group in 1985. In 2009, he founded DoubleLine Capital, an investment management firm focused on fixed-income securities. His net worth was estimated at $2.2 billion as of 2021. Gundlach is known for his unconventional investment strategies and ability to predict market trends, and is considered one of the most influential voices in the financial industry.
Here is a timeline of some of the key events in Jeffrey Gundlach’s life and career:
- On October 30, 1959, Jeffrey Gundlach is born in Buffalo, New York.
- Gundlach earns a mathematics and philosophy degree from Dartmouth College in 1981.
- 1983: Yale University awards Gundlach a PhD in mathematics.
- Gundlach starts his career in finance in 1985 by joining the TCW Group, an investment management company.
- Gundlach establishes a reputation for being a specialist in fixed-income instruments, particularly mortgage-backed securities, in the 1990s.
- 2009: After being sacked from TCW, Gundlach founds DoubleLine Capital, his own investment management company.
- 2011: TCW accuses Gundlach of stealing trade secrets and files a lawsuit, but the dispute is resolved out of court.
- 2012 saw the flagship Total Return Bond Fund of DoubleLine Capital handle more than $50 billion in assets.
- 2016: Despite most polls showing Hillary Clinton as the front-runner, Gundlach thinks that Donald Trump will win the U.S. presidential election.
- Forbes pegs Gundlach’s net worth at $2.2 billion in 2021.
The following list of five intriguing Jeffrey Gundlach facts:
- Gundlach is an art collector, and pieces by well-known painters including Jackson Pollock and Pablo Picasso are part of his personal collection.
- He is regarded as an unusual person who is well-known for his unorthodox financial ideas and his readiness to express his opinions.
- In addition to being a musician, Gundlach has participated in a number of bands throughout the years, including “Radical Flat.”
- Along with being a successful investor, Gundlach is renowned for his charity. Over the years, he has given millions of dollars to charity and supported causes including the arts and education.
- Gundlach like the television series “Breaking Bad,” and he occasionally brings it up in his speeches.
Here are 5 quotes from Jeffrey Gundlach:
- “There’s an old expression that says ‘Don’t fight the Fed.’ Well, we’ve been fighting the Fed for 10 years, and it’s been a losing proposition.”
- “I think the biggest mistake investors make is they just believe what they’re told. They don’t dig deeper.”
- “I don’t like rules. I don’t like people telling me what to do. I don’t like constraints.”
- “The best investment opportunities are always the ones that are hidden in plain sight.”
- “If you want to make money in the markets, you have to be a little bit crazy.”