|Full Name||Karl Otto Lagerfeld|
|Birthdate||September 10, 1933|
|Career||Fashion Designer, Creative Director, Photographer, Author, Art Collector|
|Famous Brands||Chanel, Fendi, Karl Lagerfeld|
|Awards||Woolmark Prize, Fashion Group International Award, CFDA International Award|
|Notable Works||Chanel No. 5 Campaign, H&M Collaboration, Fendi Baguette Bag, Karl Lagerfeld Clothing Line|
|Personal Style||High-Collared Shirts, Black Sunglasses, Leather Gloves|
|Pet||Choupette the Cat|
|Death Date||February 19, 2019|
|Death Place||Paris, France|
Karl Lagerfeld was a German fashion designer and creative director who was born on September 10, 1933, in Hamburg, Germany. He is widely regarded as one of the most influential and iconic figures in the fashion industry, having worked for some of the world’s most renowned fashion houses such as Chanel, Fendi, and his own eponymous brand.
Lagerfeld’s interest in fashion began at an early age, and he moved to Paris in the early 1950s to pursue a career in the industry. He quickly made a name for himself, and by the 1960s, he was designing for some of the biggest names in fashion.
In the 1980s, Lagerfeld began his legendary collaboration with Chanel, which lasted until his death in 2019. During his tenure at the fashion house, he helped to revitalize the brand and make it one of the most recognizable and successful fashion labels in the world. Lagerfeld was also known for his work as a photographer and for his outspoken personality, which made him a media darling and a celebrity in his own right.
As for his wealth, Lagerfeld was estimated to have a net worth of around $200 million at the time of his death. He amassed his fortune through his work as a fashion designer and creative director, as well as through his various collaborations and business ventures. Lagerfeld also owned several properties, including a villa in Monaco and an apartment in Paris, which were valued at millions of dollars.
Despite his immense wealth and success, Lagerfeld remained a notoriously private individual and was known for his frugal lifestyle. He famously wore the same outfit every day, a black suit with a white shirt and high-collared shirt, and was known for his love of Diet Coke and dark sunglasses.
Overall, Karl Lagerfeld was a true icon of the fashion industry, whose creative vision and business acumen helped to shape the industry as we know it today. While his wealth was certainly substantial, it was only one aspect of his larger-than-life legacy.
Here’s a timeline of Karl Lagerfeld’s life:
- September 10, 1933: Karl Otto Lagerfeld is born in Hamburg, Germany.
- 1952: Lagerfeld moves to Paris and begins his career in the fashion industry.
- 1955: Lagerfeld wins the Woolmark Prize for his coat designs.
- 1961: Lagerfeld begins designing for French fashion house Chloé.
- 1965: Lagerfeld is hired as the head designer for Italian fur and leather goods company Fendi.
- 1983: Lagerfeld becomes the creative director of Chanel, where he helps to revitalize the brand and make it one of the most successful fashion labels in the world.
- 1984: Lagerfeld launches his own eponymous fashion label, which features his signature style of high-collared shirts, black sunglasses, and leather gloves.
- 2011: Lagerfeld collaborates with global fashion retailer H&M on a limited-edition clothing line.
- February 19, 2019: Karl Lagerfeld dies in Paris at the age of 85.
And here are 5 interesting facts about Karl Lagerfeld:
- Lagerfeld was a multi-talented artist who was not only a fashion designer but also a photographer, author, and art collector.
- He was known for his love of Diet Coke and reportedly drank up to 10 cans of the beverage each day.
- Lagerfeld’s beloved pet cat, Choupette, was a celebrity in her own right and had her own social media accounts and merchandise line.
- Despite being one of the most recognizable figures in fashion, Lagerfeld was notoriously private and rarely gave interviews or made public appearances.
- Lagerfeld was fluent in several languages, including German, French, English, Italian, and Spanish.
And here are 5 quotes from Karl Lagerfeld:
- “Fashion is a language that creates itself in clothes to interpret reality.”
- “I’m very much down to earth, just not this earth.”
- “Sweatpants are a sign of defeat. You lost control of your life so you bought some sweatpants.”
- “The best things I’ve ever done have come from being creatively unfulfilled and frustrated.”
- “I’m a kind of fashion nymphomaniac who never gets an orgasm.”