Larry J. Merlo is a well-known American businessman who served as the CEO of CVS Health from 2011 to February 2021. Merlo was born on September 12, 1955, in Wyomissing, Pennsylvania, and earned a bachelor’s degree in business administration from the University of Pittsburgh.
Merlo began his career in the retail industry, working for Eckerd Corporation, where he spent more than 20 years. In 1990, he joined CVS Health, where he held several executive positions before becoming CEO.
As the CEO of CVS Health, Merlo oversaw the company’s expansion into new areas, including the acquisition of Aetna, one of the largest health insurers in the United States. He also implemented a smoking cessation program, which was the first of its kind in the industry.
According to Forbes, Larry J. Merlo has a net worth of approximately $48 million as of March 2023. Much of his wealth comes from his stock holdings in CVS Health, as well as his salary and bonuses during his tenure as CEO.
In addition to his work at CVS Health, Merlo has served on several boards, including the National Association of Chain Drug Stores, the Retail Industry Leaders Association, and the National Retail Federation.
Overall, Larry J. Merlo has made a significant impact on the healthcare industry through his leadership at CVS Health. His contributions to the company’s growth and success have earned him a substantial net worth, making him one of the wealthiest CEOs in the industry today.
here is a timeline of Larry J. Merlo:
- September 12, 1955: Larry J. Merlo is born in Wyomissing, Pennsylvania.
- 1977: Merlo graduates from the University of Pittsburgh with a bachelor’s degree in business administration.
- 1990: Merlo joins CVS Health and begins his career with the company.
- 2007: Merlo is appointed President of CVS Health’s Retail division.
- 2010: Merlo becomes the President and Chief Operating Officer of CVS Health.
- 2011: Merlo is named the CEO of CVS Health.
- 2018: CVS Health announces its plan to acquire Aetna, one of the largest health insurers in the United States.
- 2021: Merlo retires as CEO of CVS Health in February and is succeeded by Karen S. Lynch.
- March 2023: According to Forbes, Merlo’s net worth is approximately $48 million.
This timeline highlights some of the key moments in Larry J. Merlo’s life and career, including his education, his time at CVS Health, and his tenure as CEO.
5 Interesting Facts About Larry J. Merlo:
- Merlo’s first job was at a McDonald’s restaurant.
- He was the first in his family to go to college.
- Merlo has served on the board of directors for the National Association of Chain Drug Stores, the Retail Industry Leaders Association, and the National Retail Federation.
- Under Merlo’s leadership, CVS Health became the first major pharmacy chain to stop selling tobacco products.
- Merlo is a supporter of STEM education and has donated to several programs that promote science, technology, engineering, and math education.
5 Quotes From Larry J. Merlo:
- “The retail industry has always been a barometer of the economy, and that’s especially true in healthcare.”
- “The healthcare industry is in the midst of significant change, and the opportunities and challenges are immense.”
- “Our purpose is helping people on their path to better health.”
- “At the core of our business is a desire to help people lead healthier lives.”
- “We’re evolving from being a pharmacy company to a health company.”
These quotes give insight into Merlo’s perspective on the healthcare industry and his vision for CVS Health as a company.