Lei Jun is a Chinese entrepreneur and billionaire who was born on December 16, 1969, in Xiantao, Hubei, China. He is the founder, chairman, and CEO of Xiaomi Corporation, one of the leading technology companies in China.
Lei Jun’s early career began in the mid-1990s when he co-founded the software company Kingsoft Corporation, which specialized in developing office software and games. Under Lei Jun’s leadership, Kingsoft became one of the leading software companies in China.
In 2010, Lei Jun founded Xiaomi Corporation, a consumer electronics and mobile phone company based in Beijing, China. Xiaomi quickly gained popularity for its affordable smartphones with high-end features, and it soon became the world’s fourth-largest smartphone manufacturer.
Lei Jun’s wealth is primarily derived from his holdings in Xiaomi Corporation. As of 2021, his net worth was estimated to be around $19.8 billion, making him one of the richest people in China.
In addition to his work with Xiaomi, Lei Jun is also a philanthropist and has donated substantial amounts of his wealth to various causes. He has also been recognized for his contributions to the tech industry, receiving awards such as the China Quality Award and the Outstanding Entrepreneur of the Year Award.
Despite his enormous success, Lei Jun remains committed to innovation and is known for his focus on providing high-quality products at affordable prices. He is widely respected in the tech industry for his entrepreneurial spirit, leadership skills, and philanthropic endeavors.
Here’s a timeline of Lei Jun’s life and career:
- December 16, 1969: Lei Jun is born in Xiantao, Hubei, China.
- 1992: Lei Jun graduates from Wuhan University with a degree in computer science.
- Mid-1990s: Lei Jun co-founds Kingsoft Corporation, a software company specializing in office software and games.
- 2007: Lei Jun becomes a managing partner of venture capital firm, Joy Capital.
- 2010: Lei Jun founds Xiaomi Corporation, a consumer electronics and mobile phone company based in Beijing, China.
- 2011: Xiaomi launches its first smartphone, the Xiaomi Mi 1.
- 2013: Xiaomi becomes the world’s fifth-largest smartphone manufacturer.
- 2014: Lei Jun is named one of the world’s 100 most powerful people by Forbes.
- 2018: Xiaomi becomes the world’s fourth-largest smartphone manufacturer.
- 2019: Lei Jun is named the 11th richest person in China by Forbes, with an estimated net worth of $13.8 billion.
- 2021: Lei Jun’s net worth is estimated to be around $19.8 billion, making him one of the richest people in China.
Throughout his career, Lei Jun has been recognized for his entrepreneurial spirit, leadership skills, and philanthropic contributions. He remains an influential figure in the tech industry and continues to lead Xiaomi Corporation to success.
5 Interesting Facts about Lei Jun:
- Lei Jun is a big fan of Steve Jobs and has been known to wear a black turtleneck to product launches, just like Jobs did.
- Before founding Xiaomi, Lei Jun was an angel investor for several successful Chinese startups, including YY.com, UCWeb, and Vancl.
- Lei Jun is also an avid philanthropist and has donated over $300 million to various causes, including education, poverty alleviation, and disaster relief.
- In 2014, Lei Jun wrote a book called “Big Head” that became a bestseller in China.
- Lei Jun is also a big fan of basketball and has invested in the Chinese Basketball Association team, Beijing Shougang Ducks.
5 Quotes from Lei Jun:
- “We’re here to change the world. Why else would we do what we do?”
- “I’ve always believed that entrepreneurs should be socially responsible, and should give back to society.”
- “Innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower.” – Steve Jobs
- “I’m always thinking about how we can use technology to solve problems for people and make their lives better.”
- “Our mission is to relentlessly build amazing products with honest prices to let everyone in the world enjoy a better life through innovative technology.”