|R. Budi & Michael Hartono|
|Full Name||R. Budi Hartono & Michael Hartono|
|Birth Year||1940 (R. Budi Hartono) & 1939 (Michael Hartono)|
|Birthplace||Semarang, Central Java, Indonesia|
|Industry||Tobacco, Banking, Property, Telecommunications|
|Known For||Building a business empire worth billions, philanthropic work|
|Net Worth (2021)||$20.5 billion (R. Budi Hartono) & $15.5 billion (Michael Hartono)|
|Philanthropic Causes||Education, Healthcare, Disaster Relief|
|Major Accomplishments||Building Bank Central Asia (BCA), acquiring PT Karya Sempurna Agung|
|Owned Assets||Djarum Badminton Club|
|Education||University of Indonesia|
|Board Memberships||University of Indonesia, National University of Singapore|
R. Budi and Michael Hartono are two of the wealthiest businessmen in Indonesia, with a combined net worth of over $30 billion. They are known for their success in the tobacco industry, as well as their extensive philanthropic work.
R. Budi Hartono was born on April 20, 1940, in Semarang, Central Java, Indonesia. He is the son of Oei Wie Gwan, who founded the Djarum Group, one of the largest tobacco companies in Indonesia. Budi Hartono took over as CEO of Djarum in 1963 and has since grown the company into a global conglomerate with interests in banking, property, and telecommunications.
Michael Hartono, Budi’s younger brother, was born on October 27, 1939, also in Semarang, Central Java, Indonesia. He joined Djarum in 1968 and became CEO in 1984. Under his leadership, the company expanded into new markets, including Russia, Ukraine, and the Philippines.
Together, the Hartono brothers have built a business empire that includes some of the most well-known brands in Indonesia. In addition to Djarum, their companies include Bank Central Asia (BCA), the largest private bank in Indonesia, and the property development firm PT Rajawali Corpora.
As of 2021, Forbes estimated Budi Hartono’s net worth at $20.5 billion, making him the third-richest person in Indonesia. Michael Hartono’s net worth was estimated at $15.5 billion, making him the fifth-richest person in the country.
Despite their immense wealth, the Hartono brothers are known for their philanthropy. They have donated millions of dollars to various causes, including education, healthcare, and disaster relief. In 2019, they pledged to donate $1 billion to help build a new university in Indonesia.
In addition to their philanthropic work, the Hartono brothers are also known for their love of badminton. They are the owners of the Djarum Badminton Club, which has produced several world-class players over the years.
In conclusion, R. Budi and Michael Hartono are two of the wealthiest businessmen in Indonesia, thanks to their success in the tobacco industry and other ventures. Despite their wealth, they are known for their philanthropic work and love of badminton, and have become respected figures in their home country and beyond.
Here is a timeline of the major events in the lives of R. Budi and Michael Hartono:
- 1940: R. Budi Hartono is born on April 20th in Semarang, Central Java, Indonesia.
- 1939: Michael Hartono is born on October 27th in Semarang, Central Java, Indonesia.
- 1950s: The Hartono family starts the Djarum Group, a small cigarette company in Kudus, Central Java, Indonesia.
- 1963: Budi Hartono takes over as CEO of Djarum Group.
- 1968: Michael Hartono joins Djarum Group.
- 1984: Michael Hartono becomes CEO of Djarum Group.
- 1988: Djarum Group becomes the third-largest cigarette manufacturer in Indonesia.
- 1995: Djarum Group launches Bank Central Asia (BCA), the largest private bank in Indonesia.
- 2003: Djarum Group acquires PT Karya Sempurna Agung, a company with interests in property development and telecommunications.
- 2014: Forbes estimates the Hartono brothers’ combined net worth at $17.6 billion.
- 2019: The Hartono brothers pledge to donate $1 billion to help build a new university in Indonesia.
- 2021: Forbes estimates R. Budi Hartono’s net worth at $20.5 billion and Michael Hartono’s net worth at $15.5 billion.
Throughout their lives, R. Budi and Michael Hartono have built a business empire that includes interests in tobacco, banking, property, and telecommunications. They have also become known for their philanthropic work, with a particular focus on education, healthcare, and disaster relief.
5 Interesting Facts about R. Budi & Michael Hartono:
- Both R. Budi and Michael Hartono are avid badminton players and have owned the Djarum Badminton Club since 1970.
- R. Budi Hartono is a member of the board of trustees at the University of Indonesia and the National University of Singapore.
- Michael Hartono was once an Indonesian national badminton player and represented Indonesia in the 1964 Thomas Cup.
- In addition to their philanthropic work in Indonesia, the Hartono brothers have also donated to various causes globally, including the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
- Djarum Group, founded by the Hartono family, is the third-largest cigarette manufacturer in Indonesia.
5 Quotes from R. Budi & Michael Hartono:
- “Philanthropy is not just about donating money, but also about giving our time, expertise and networks to help those in need.” – R. Budi Hartono
- “We have to help society, especially those who are less fortunate than us.” – Michael Hartono
- “In business, we have to work hard, work smart, and be prepared to take calculated risks.” – R. Budi Hartono
- “Success is not just about achieving our goals, but also about how we achieve them and the impact we make along the way.” – Michael Hartono
- “We believe in creating long-term value for our stakeholders, including our customers, employees, shareholders, and society as a whole.” – R. Budi and Michael Hartono (joint statement)