Stephan Sturm is a German business executive who served as the CEO of Fresenius, a global healthcare company based in Germany, from 2016 to 2021. Sturm was born on November 24, 1963, in Krefeld, Germany, and obtained a degree in business administration from the University of Münster.
Sturm began his career in the healthcare industry in 1991, working for Bayer AG in the finance department. He later joined Aventis SA (now Sanofi) and held various senior positions in finance and strategy. In 2005, Sturm joined Fresenius, where he initially served as the CFO of Fresenius Medical Care. In 2013, he was appointed as the CEO of Fresenius Helios, the company’s hospital division.
In 2016, Sturm was promoted to the position of CEO of Fresenius SE & Co. KGaA, the parent company of Fresenius Medical Care, Fresenius Kabi, Fresenius Helios, and Fresenius Vamed. During his tenure, Sturm oversaw significant growth and expansion of the company, which operates in more than 100 countries worldwide. He focused on strengthening the company’s core businesses, expanding into new markets, and driving innovation and digitalization.
Under Sturm’s leadership, Fresenius also made several strategic acquisitions, including Akorn, NxStage, and Quirónsalud, which expanded the company’s product portfolio and geographic reach. Sturm stepped down as CEO of Fresenius in June 2021 and was succeeded by Rachel Empey.
Sturm’s estimated net worth is around $200 million, largely due to his success as CEO of Fresenius. He is known for his strong leadership skills, strategic vision, and focus on long-term growth. In addition to his work at Fresenius, Sturm is also involved in various charitable organizations and has supported initiatives related to education, health, and social welfare.
Here is a timeline of Stephan Sturm’s career:
- 1991: Sturm begins his career in the healthcare industry, working for Bayer AG in the finance department.
- 2000: Sturm joins Aventis SA (now Sanofi) and holds various senior positions in finance and strategy.
- 2005: Sturm joins Fresenius and becomes the CFO of Fresenius Medical Care.
- 2013: Sturm is appointed as the CEO of Fresenius Helios, the company’s hospital division.
- 2016: Sturm is promoted to the position of CEO of Fresenius SE & Co. KGaA, the parent company of Fresenius Medical Care, Fresenius Kabi, Fresenius Helios, and Fresenius Vamed.
- 2018: Fresenius announces the acquisition of Akorn, a US-based generic drugmaker, under Sturm’s leadership.
- 2019: Fresenius completes the acquisition of NxStage Medical, a US-based manufacturer of home dialysis equipment, under Sturm’s leadership.
- 2020: Fresenius announces the acquisition of a majority stake in Grupo Hospitalario Quirónsalud, a Spanish private hospital group, under Sturm’s leadership.
- 2021: Sturm steps down as CEO of Fresenius and is succeeded by Rachel Empey.
This timeline highlights Sturm’s impressive rise through the ranks of the healthcare industry and his successful tenure as CEO of Fresenius, during which he oversaw significant growth and expansion of the company through strategic acquisitions.
here are 5 interesting facts about Stephan Sturm and 5 quotes from him:
5 Interesting Facts:
- Stephan Sturm holds a PhD in economics and spent time as a research fellow at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).
- He is a member of the supervisory board of Deutsche Bank.
- Sturm is a passionate advocate for sustainable business practices and has spearheaded initiatives at Fresenius to reduce the company’s carbon footprint and increase energy efficiency.
- Under Sturm’s leadership, Fresenius became the world’s largest provider of dialysis products and services, serving over 345,000 patients worldwide.
- Sturm is known for his straightforward management style and focus on results, which has earned him praise from both employees and investors.
- “At Fresenius, we firmly believe that healthcare is a fundamental right for all people. We are committed to delivering innovative and high-quality products and services that enable patients to live healthier, more fulfilling lives.”
- “Sustainability is not just a buzzword – it is a core business principle that drives everything we do at Fresenius. We are committed to being good stewards of the environment and to making a positive impact on the communities where we operate.”
- “As a leader, it is important to stay focused on your goals and to communicate your vision clearly to your team. By setting clear expectations and holding ourselves accountable, we can achieve great things.”
- “Innovation is at the heart of everything we do at Fresenius. By investing in cutting-edge technologies and fostering a culture of creativity and collaboration, we can continue to drive progress and deliver value to our customers.”
- “Success in business is about more than just profits and growth – it is about making a positive impact on the world around us. At Fresenius, we are proud to be part of a company that is dedicated to improving healthcare and advancing human health.”