|Full name||Todd Anthony Combs|
|Date of birth||January 27, 1971|
|Place of birth||Sarasota, Florida|
|Education||Bachelor’s degree in finance from Florida State University; MBA from Columbia Business School|
|Career highlights||Co-founder of Castle Point Capital; Portfolio manager at Berkshire Hathaway; CEO of Geico; Member of the board of directors at JPMorgan Chase|
|Investment philosophy||Focus on finding undervalued companies with strong growth potential and a sustainable competitive advantage|
|Estimated net worth||$400 million (as of 2023)|
|Philanthropy||Supporter of education initiatives; Member of the Giving Pledge|
|Personal life||Married with two children; Former high school football coach; Avid reader|
Todd Combs is an American businessman and investor, born on January 27, 1971, in Sarasota, Florida. He is best known for being one of the portfolio managers of Berkshire Hathaway, the investment firm owned by Warren Buffett.
Combs graduated from Florida State University with a degree in finance and went on to earn his MBA from Columbia Business School. He began his career as a stock analyst at Copper Arch Capital before co-founding Castle Point Capital, a hedge fund based in Greenwich, Connecticut, in 2005.
In 2010, Combs caught the attention of Warren Buffett, who was impressed by his investment record and hired him to manage a portion of Berkshire Hathaway’s portfolio. Combs was initially responsible for managing a $1 billion portfolio, but this has since grown to over $14 billion.
Combs has a reputation for being a skilled and disciplined investor. He focuses on finding undervalued companies with strong growth potential and a sustainable competitive advantage. He has made successful investments in companies such as Visa, Mastercard, and JPMorgan Chase.
As of 2023, Todd Combs has an estimated net worth of $400 million, primarily from his earnings at Berkshire Hathaway. He also serves on the board of directors for JPMorgan Chase and has been involved in philanthropic efforts, including supporting education initiatives and health research.
Combs is married and has two children. He is known for being a private individual and has largely avoided media attention, preferring to focus on his work as an investor.
Here is a timeline of Todd Combs:
- 1971: Todd Combs is born in Sarasota, Florida.
- 1993: Combs graduates from Florida State University with a degree in finance.
- 2002: Combs earns his MBA from Columbia Business School.
- 2003: Combs begins working as a stock analyst at Copper Arch Capital.
- 2005: Combs co-founds Castle Point Capital, a hedge fund based in Greenwich, Connecticut.
- 2010: Warren Buffett hires Combs to manage a portion of Berkshire Hathaway’s portfolio.
- 2011: Combs is appointed to the board of directors of JPMorgan Chase.
- 2016: Combs joins the board of directors of Precision Castparts Corp, a company acquired by Berkshire Hathaway.
- 2018: Combs is appointed as CEO of Berkshire Hathaway’s Geico insurance subsidiary.
- 2021: Combs is named as one of the potential successors to Warren Buffett as CEO of Berkshire Hathaway.
- 2023: Todd Combs’ estimated net worth is $400 million, primarily from his earnings at Berkshire Hathaway.
This timeline highlights some of the key moments in Todd Combs’ career, from his early days as a stock analyst to his current position as a successful portfolio manager and CEO of Geico.
5 Interesting Facts about Todd Combs:
- Combs is a former high school football coach and played the sport in college as well.
- He is known for being an avid reader and is said to read more than 500 pages a day.
- Combs is a supporter of education initiatives and has served on the board of directors for a number of schools and universities.
- He is a member of the Giving Pledge, a group of billionaires committed to giving away the majority of their wealth to charitable causes.
- Combs has been described by Warren Buffett as a “fundamentally sound, smart, and personable individual” who is “the kind of person I like to work with.”
5 Quotes from Todd Combs:
- “The most important thing is to keep learning, keep improving, and keep evolving.”
- “You have to find your own way in the investment world, and that takes time and effort.”
- “The key to investing is having a disciplined process and sticking to it.”
- “Success is not about being the smartest person in the room; it’s about being the most prepared.”
- “The best investments are often the ones that nobody else is interested in.”
These quotes give insight into Combs’ investment philosophy, as well as his focus on continuous learning and improvement.