King Felipe VI of Spain is the current monarch of Spain, having ascended to the throne in 2014 after the abdication of his father, King Juan Carlos I. Born in Madrid in 1968, Felipe is the only son of King Juan Carlos I and Queen Sofía.
After completing his primary education in Madrid, Felipe attended the Autonomous University of Madrid and later studied at Georgetown University in the United States. He also trained as a military officer and served in the Spanish Armed Forces.
Throughout his life, Felipe has been involved in various social and cultural causes, including promoting Spanish culture and language, supporting youth development programs, and advocating for disability rights. He has also served as a representative of Spain on numerous international committees and organizations.
As King of Spain, Felipe has continued to champion these causes while also overseeing the country’s political and economic affairs. He has been involved in efforts to promote economic growth, reduce unemployment, and improve social welfare programs.
In terms of wealth, King Felipe VI is estimated to have a net worth of around $20 million. Much of this wealth comes from his personal inheritance and assets, including a stake in a real estate firm and a collection of art and antiques. However, as the King of Spain, he does not have personal control over the country’s finances and is subject to strict financial reporting requirements.
Overall, King Felipe VI is known for his dedication to public service and his efforts to promote the interests of Spain and its people, both at home and abroad.
1968 – Felipe is born in Madrid, the third child and only son of King Juan Carlos I and Queen Sofía.
1975 – Following the death of Spanish dictator Francisco Franco, Juan Carlos I becomes king and begins the process of transitioning Spain to a democratic government.
1985-1993 – Felipe studies at the Autonomous University of Madrid and later Georgetown University in the United States, where he earned a degree in International Relations.
1986 – Felipe begins his military service, training in the Army, Navy, and Air Force.
1995 – Felipe is appointed as Spain’s representative to the International Olympic Committee.
2004 – Felipe marries Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano, a journalist and news anchor.
2014 – Juan Carlos I abdicates the throne, and Felipe is proclaimed King of Spain.
2017 – Felipe makes a historic visit to Cuba, becoming the first Spanish head of state to visit the country in nearly four decades.
2019 – The King of Spain delivers a speech condemning the ongoing political crisis in Catalonia, where separatist politicians have sought independence from Spain.
2020 – Felipe addresses the nation in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, calling for unity and solidarity in the face of the crisis.
2021 – King Felipe VI makes a state visit to the United States, meeting with President Joe Biden and other political leaders.
Overall, King Felipe VI has played a significant role in Spain’s transition to democracy and has continued to serve as a respected representative of the country both domestically and internationally.
5 interesting facts:
- King Felipe VI is fluent in several languages, including English, French, and German.
- He is an avid sports fan and has competed in several sailing competitions, including the Olympics.
- Felipe is a member of the Spanish Royal Family’s Order of the Golden Fleece, which is one of the oldest and most prestigious orders of chivalry in the world.
- He is known for his commitment to environmental causes and has supported efforts to combat climate change and promote sustainability.
- Felipe is the first Spanish monarch to be born after the country’s transition to democracy in the 1970s.
- “Spain is a nation of people who believe in democracy, freedom, and the rule of law.”
- “We must work together to build a better future for all our citizens, with equal opportunities for everyone, regardless of their background.”
- “The challenges we face today are complex and multifaceted, but with hard work and determination, we can overcome them.”
- “We must embrace diversity and celebrate our differences, for it is through our diversity that we can achieve greatness.”
- “As a nation, we must continue to uphold the values of democracy, human rights, and the rule of law, which are the foundation of our society.”
click here, to see the full list of all living monarchs